Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Trip to The Apple Orchard

Today, Josh and I took a trip to the apple orchard! We decided after canning salsa last week that we wanted to can some apple sauce. After consulting some very credible websites, on google, about which apples are best to use for apple sauce, we finally embarked on our adventure to the orchard.

When we arrived to the orchard we were surprised to see how many people were there. After we signed a waiver to pick our apples, we were also surprised to see that a lot of the apples were gone or on the ground


We decided to call in for some backup. A call to Mrs. Weaver, Josh's grandmother was all it took to discover what the best kind of apples were to make sauce. Then the fun part of the day began...

We first started picking apples that were in hands reach...


Then when we couldn't find anymore at our hands reach I went on a mission to find a ladder.


After I found the ladder, picking the apples up high was much easier.




Before weighing our apples, we took a photo of us together. 


When we went to weigh our apples, we had to pull out the ten bags and set them on a scale. We couldn't believe our eyes when the scale read 112 pounds! We then realized we had our work cut out for us. 

When we arrived home, we set the apples on the porch by type. We picked three different kinds: Jonathan, Jon Mac, and Fuji. These were the three that we thought would be best from our research. And of course, when there is an opportunity to take a photo, we take advantage of it.


I have to tell you that we did in fact can 24 quarts of apple sauce, however the camera battery died. With that being said, next weekend when we can the other half of the sauce, I will show you how it's all made. But here is the finished product, just so you believe us!





Have a great evening!


Madalyn


P.S. Today Josh and I went to church where we were given $50 to multiply to help pay off the new church building's debt. If anyone has any good ideas to make money multiply, let us know!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I will always reply to your comments via email!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...