Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day Six: The Effects of Bella

Hey all!

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. It's been a busy weekend, into a busy week! Forgive me!

I hope your long weekend went as well as mine. If it included scaling a mountain, eating a large pancake, or seeing an entire town in Vermont underwater, then you must have been doing the same thing Josh and I were doing this weekend. 

When we came back Monday it was around 8:30. At that point I was off to my room to get ready for the upcoming school week. Before I went to bed, I suddenly remembered that we were going to have a new addition to our classroom tomorrow. Her name was Bella.

This is what Bella looks like.
I walked in yesterday morning, and sure enough our furry friend was quietly sitting in her cage taking a nap. For those of you who don't know, Bella is our classroom pet. She is a grey, decently large, older, rabbit. Looking at her, I began to feel more comfortable in my environment.

As the students filed into the room, they eagerly greeted the bunny. twenty little sets of hands were suddenly all over the cage in a matter of seconds. It was difficult to get the children to keep attentive to the task at hand because the bunny was so much more interesting to look at.

All morning the students wanted to sit toward the back of the rug so they could see her and look at her. At choice time a few of the children sat around her cage for thirty minutes talking about her. I couldn't help but overhear what they were talking about.

The little girls who sat there began talking about how it was Bella's first day of school and how they felt when they came to kindergarten just a week ago. They discussed that even though Bella couldn't talk, she probably felt scared because she was sitting in the corner of her cage and had her eyes wide open. As I was hearing them speak, I finally understood one of the reasons why kids are so attracted to her and other class pets.

Much like when students start their first day of school, Bella's transition from her outdoor cage with her other bunny friend, to a noisy classroom filled with so many students was really scary for her. For the students to kind of sympathize with the rabbit was so interesting. They compared their feelings to how the bunny must be feeling. That warm feeling of comfort swept over me again as I kept listening to each of the girls speak about the bunny.

For me, the bunny represents me as a learner. I am still nervous and scared with the years to come in my career, especially finishing up my last year of school. However, just like the bunny and the students in my class and every other classroom, eventually over time, everything will start to become easier.


Madalyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I will always reply to your comments via email!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...