Tuesday, March 12, 2013

5k Spring Training #1

button

I am linking up again with KTJweighing in and her friend Kim at "Latte and a Prayer" for their spring training: 5k Challenge.

I started my 5k training about a month ago and it was one of the best choices I made. After being a half marathoner not too long ago (Okay, like 2 or more years ago), I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to being running again.

I googled the "Couch to 5k program" and began my training. Below is a table to follow if you are interested in trying it out!

Anyway, I started by running as far as I could without stopping. I guess before I go any further I need to describe my working out environment. Because I live in Pennsylvania, it is rather chilly, So I am currently running on the treadmill when its nasty out and running outside when I can - so like above 32 degrees and when the wind isn't whipping.

I also have the Nike Running App, which you can see below. This app tracks my miles, pace and creates a map of where I ran. It also shows me the quickest part of my run and the slower parts of my run (so when I am dying and can't breathe). I love the app because it lets me see how many miles I have run all together, lets me set running goals based on distance or time, and talks to me every.25 miles (that can be changed, but it keeps my mind on track.


Because of the program and the app, I was up and running (ha - get it? Up and running) by about three weeks. Last week I ran my first 3 miles without stopping in under 29 minutes! You can read about it here.


This is from the website www.coolrunning.com

Couch to 5k Training Plan

WeekWorkout 1Workout 2Workout 3
1Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
2Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
3Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
4Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
5Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
  • Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking.
6Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2-1/4 miles (or 22 minutes) with no walking.
7Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).
8Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
9Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).The final workout! Congratulations! Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).



By the end of the year, I want to run at least 3 5k's and one half marathon by the end of the year. I am trying to convince the hubs to let me do the disney half, but I am thinking he will settle for something a little closer. 


What are your running goals for the year?


Madalyn

16 comments:

  1. Hey!! Stopping in from the link-up! Way to go on getting back into running! I am going to start Week 4 on the C25K tomorrow, after having repeated W3D3 a few extra days. Keep up the hard work!

    http://rwilliams2009.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I am around where you are as far as weeks I think! I am excited to see your progress!

      Delete
  2. Hi Madalyn!! I'm so going to check out the Nike Running App! I like that it tracks the distance - my app doesn't and I wondered with the added runs I did, how far did I actually go? Did I complete a 5K? Thanks and I'm excited that we're doing this together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the Nike running app! The woman can talk to you at .25, .5 or every mile that you run. It's great if you need to keep a certain pace, but a total bummer if you are trying to keep a certain pace and then don't make it. She will let you know! Keep running!

      Delete
  3. I am amazed by you for getting into it so quickly and able to run your three miles by three weeks! I hope I can pick myself back up quickly too, this is my third C25K but I've never actually finished with a real 5K so I think that might be my goal this time :) I'm intrigued by your Nike app, I've used something called Endomondo but doesn't have as much detail as yours seems to have, I will have to go find it! Can't wait to see more of your running progress! Especially if you make it to the Disney run :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I just try not to think about running when I am running and it usually works. I also try to run by the women and men that are running the fastest. It makes me want to run more and makes me stop less because they don't stop ever!
      My husband uses Edomondo and he likes it a lot. I love the Running App because it allows me to hear how I am doing while I am doing it! I hope to make it to the Disney run, but it might just be the Hershey Half. Oh well... At least chocolate is somewhat involved!

      Madalyn

      Delete
  4. Stopping by from the link up! Great job with the running! I did C25K in the fall and am training for my first half marathon now. The plan works great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I am training for a half marathon as well that I will do in the fall! When is yours?

      Madalyn

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the 3 miles! My goal is to beat my husband in a race! We don't have any 5K's in the area (I've looked) so I have to settle with racing my husband until we move back to the lower 48.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by!

      My husband kills me when we run together. One of the firsts times we ran he actually ran so fast and literally didn't stop for me... I got lost in his town! He is the kind of guy that doesn't have to try and be fit - he can eat anything and still be skinny! SO jealous of him!

      Keep up the great work!

      Madalyn

      Delete
  6. 3 miles in under 30 minutes is AWESOME! I'm so excited that I found your blog! I love running, and sounds like we have some similar goals. I'm signed up for a Half Marathon in May, and have a 15K at the end of this month! Last year I was training for my first half marathon and got a stress fracture that kept me from running it, and instead put me in a boot for 6 weeks :( Here's to hoping there are no injuries this time around! So far so good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! I stumbled across your blog yesterday and I thought to myself "I HAVE to befriend her!" Especially after seeing the color run pictures! I wanted to do that in Philly last year but it filled up SO quickly! Kudos to you for signing up in time - the procrastinator over here wishes she had sooner! I hope that your injuries stay at bay so you can run and accomplish everything off your list!

      Have a great Wednesday!

      Madalyn

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing! You are doing an awesome job so far! I need to check out the nike running app! Can't wait to see how you progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thank YOU for stopping by my little blog and for creating an avenue for fellow fitness friends to meet and link up! Keep up your great work!

      Madalyn!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, a destination half marathon?! You should totally do it. A friend of mine did the disney marathon in 2012 and loved it. Happiest place on earth, right? :)

    Stopping by from the link-up, please stop by and follow as well!

    Cammie
    camillathegorilla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping too.. I hate to say this but my hubs HATES Disney... It should be a sin to say! I have never been so it will be a treat to go there for his uncles wedding in June 2014.

      Thank you for stopping by! I''ll be over to your blog sometime today!

      Madalyn

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! I will always reply to your comments via email!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...