Soooo sorry I didn't post at all this past weekend. I was enjoying my final days off of school before the final haul to the end of the school year, which is May 25th for me. We're in early and out early and I like it that way!
Let's see...
Like I mentioned last week, I totally threw my C25K training schedule out the window. I was having so much success, that I just thought it be best to keep going further if I could. I encountered some hurting from last week to this week and figured out that it was my SHOES that were making me feel terrible. So PLEASE make sure your shoes are on the newer side (3-6months old) and fit you properly. There is a shoe store in town that is locally owned and will let you run in any pair of shoes you would like before you purchase them AND you may return them even after you have run in them and still don't like them.
While I realize this isn't the case for most shoe stores, I can tell you that you should find a store that carries shoes in a wide variety of builds (high or low arches, skinny or wide shoe, etc). I sometimes never do this, but you shouldn't pick the prettiest shoe because you like the design. Yeah right. No. I am serious! Read about different shoes online. If you know you don't have any arches (like me), you will want to find a shoe that can support your arch-less feet but isn't uncomfortable.
I tried on about 4 different pairs and ended up with the same brand I have been running in for the past 5 years: Asics
I lucked out with the color and design. I mean they aren't my first pick of shoe, but they were what felt the best on my foot when I was running down the alley way. Did I forget to mention that I ran in all of these shoes in my Easter outfit, which consisted of a skirt and a cardigan??
I asked the guy if he had ever seen anything like this before, and he replied with "trust me, I've seen worse."
Thanks, shoe man! Boost to the ole' self confidence.
Anyway, yesterday I had off from school too, so I decided to take George for a run. If you have ever run with a 85 pound dog, then you know that either they are a hinderance or a huge help. Well, George was sort of both. In the beginning, we were running 9 minute miles because he was pulling me along. By the end of the run, we were running 10 minute miles because he continued to try to stop running.
![]() |
| isn't he adorable? |
But! I finished my 4 mile run and read this on my running app:
Yay! My fastest 5k to date and it looks like I ran about 10 minute miles. I am going run it again today and see what I come up with sans George. Hopefully under 30 minutes... We will have to see though. After the run tonight, I'll be heading to a Kettlebell class.
How do you vary up your exercise each week? How is your spring training going?
LOVE!
Madalyn




I run with my dog sometimes, but I have found it is easier to walk her and then run with my sister. You are so right on...get fitted for shoes. It was the greatest advice ever given to me when I started (and I still say I'm a beginner/novice). It makes a huge difference and will make your run so much better!
ReplyDeleteI love running with George, but he is such a pain sometimes, especially when he sees a bunny in the spring! Thanks for all of your support!
DeleteYour dog is adorable!! I love to walk with my dog. I haven't ran him yet...he is in much better shape!! You are doing fantastic! Keep up the hard work!!
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Frances
@Notions from Nonny
Stopping by from KTJ Weighing In
Thanks for the support! What kind of dog do you have?
DeleteYAY Asics! and they have pink in them, that totally helps you run faster i think :) I am so so impressed at how quickly you jumped in to the whole running thing and how you are already running 10 minute miles! That is just so huge. I'm definitely a little jealous :) I have a 90lb dog and a 60lb dog, I have thought about running with them but just no clue how they would do and if they'd end up pulling me all over..or pulling me crooked because one dog is much bigger! :) Glad you had a great weekend
ReplyDeleteI know! i am in LOVE. I would start with one dog at a time.. There is no way I could handle more than one dog at a time, especially because George weighs 90lbs! I would start out with the smaller one first!
DeleteYou are so right, properly fit shoes are so important! I hope it helps and you aren't have pain running anymore!
ReplyDeleteI am not in SO much pain anymore, but until my bone density hardens from running, I am just going to have to live through it!
DeleteLove that you had to run around in your dress, that happened to me too last time I bought shoes! So embarrassing.
ReplyDeleteYeah. I looked absolutely ridiculous!
DeleteGreat job and thanks for the tips on the shoes! I have purchased about 5 pairs in the last year and I'm STILL not sure I have the right ones :( The search continues!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your search! Let me know when you find one that fits your comfortably!
Delete