Some of you may already know that I am watching two wonderful kids this summer until I begin teaching. (If you haven't already heard the great news, I accepted a 4th grade teaching position at a Christian School around the area where I will be living. If you scroll two post down, I blogged about it.)
Anyway, last week was my week off while the family I watch went to the beach. After playing with George, the puppy all last week, I was refreshed and excited to come back to work. The first thing the kids wanted to do was to go fishing at a local creek. All morning, Jessie, her friend and Eric constructed fishing poles to use at the creek. Let me just put this out there before I go any further. Although my family used to have a boat and we would go fishing every summer, I do not think of myself as comfortable when it comes to anything slimy, especially slimy, living, wiggling, fish.
I was surprised at how small the creek was when we arrived and how quickly the fish began to bite and get hooked onto the kiddos make-shift fishing poles. Eric was the brave one who fished with just a string and a hook, and elected himself to be the fish holder while I took pliers to get the hook out of the fishes mouth.
I sometimes forget how the simple things, like hot dogs, fishing line, and hooks can create such a positive learning environment for kids. Had they known this activity was educational in any way, we may have had problems. However, the kids had no idea they were diving into science and math.
Of course, kids will be kids and there is always something so special about accomplishing something for the first time and holding up your fish, no matter how small, and smiling for the camera to prove that you did, in fact, catch a fish.
What I also found true about the experiences I have with kids are just like the experiences I have with adults. Someone always takes the lead, and someone always gets their feelings hurt by the leader. The natural order of leaders and followers begins young. Eric is definitely a leader, especially in this small pack.
And thank goodness he was the leader because he was fearless when it came to holding the fish for me. I was afraid to tell the kids, but I was scared of holding the fish. After all of those years fishing with my family, I had never once held a fish - and I wasn't about to start yesterday.
All in all, this trip to the creek was a wonderful experience for me as I begin my first year teaching, and a great experience for the kids. I never would have thought that such a small amount of work could result in such positive gains for the kids and I.
Going into this school year, I realize the obstacles I am going to face: tons of planning, managing my time so that I am not overworking, making each child feel special, attending meetings, etc. However, reassurance from experiences from yesterday, (small but deliberate preparations can lead to such a wonderful learning experience) has really let me see the bigger plans that God has set for me. As long as I am willing to put in the time deliberately, I will be able to successfully engage my students with any activity I come up with.
Madalyn
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you! I will always reply to your comments via email!