It's no secret that Fish and Chips aren't so good for you. Every time Josh and I go to our favorite pub, Quips, I am always tempted to order the delicious meal. Well, while Josh and I were shopping for groceries together on Saturday (yes, we typically do things like an 80 year old couple), we both were craving Fish and Chips. Honestly, I had been craving Fish and Chips for daaaaayyys. We went out to dinner on Friday with his side of the family to celebrate his mom's 50th and Jess, Josh's little sister, ordered fish and chips. I was literally salivating when I saw it come out of the kitchen. It sure put my chicken and walnut salad to shame.
Josh and I purchased about a pound of Cod to use as our fish for the meal. Using a recipe found online, Josh mixed 1c. flour, season with salt, enough milk to make a batter, and a little beer if you like it beer battered. (The instructions weren't specifc so Josh just guessed. It looked a lot like pancake batter, if that helps.)
Once the batter was made, Josh cleaned and cut the Cod. Since I am in the process of trying to lose weight, hence me writing a weighloss blog, I had him just cut me a third of the fish, instead of usually eating one half.
He battered both pieces of Cod and placed them in a pan FULL of oil. I was scared to calculate how many calories were going to be consumed in just oil. I was also afraid of catching our kitchen on fire so Josh suggested bringing out the trusty baking powder.
He browned the Cod on one side and flipped to brown the other side. Once the fish was cooked, Josh placed it in the oven.
Next came the fries...
Josh cut up one potato for the fries and I decided to bake mine the microwave. Oil covered fish was enough oil and fat for me for the night. I also could eat more baked potato with sour cream and onions that I could with french fries.
Below is the finished product:
My rendition of "healthy-er" Fish and Chips
|
My dinner was just as good as the regular Fish and Chips, except I felt better when I ate it because I knew that I had earned it and that I was including a healthier option. And healthier choices takes me back to how I used to look and feel. It takes me back to having complete control of my life, instead of letting food decide for me.
My husbands lovely, tasty, homemade Fish and Chips
Tomorrow, I will tell you how I earned to eat this tasty meal. A special thank you to my husband for preparing this wonderful meal.
Madalyn
|
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you! I will always reply to your comments via email!