Yesterday, I talked about the importance of setting goals. While I believe this is the biggest and most important piece of any success or achievement, especially weight loss, exercise falls to a close second. Ughhhhh exercise. I remember the early mornings I would wake up to go to the gym to get in a two hour work out. I remember the day I completed my first Tough Mudder. I also remember the days, and weeks, and months I decided to eat instead of go to the gym. I also remember the days, and weeks, and months, to eat whatever I wanted and to not be accountable for my eating. Yuck!
Now after two years of being comfortable, being happy, being totally out of control, I am back to the gym. I started my first time back last night. As soon as I got home, I put my gym clothes on and drove the 30 seconds to the gym. As if making every excuse not to exercise wasn’t enough, my gym is located IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. I am talking 50 steps from my front porch. And yes I drove, it was snowing, but I made it!
I am usually never intimidated when I go to the gym. I know exactly what I am going to do. Yesterday when I walked in, the treadmills were all being used. My goal was to run for at least 15 minutes before I began strength training. There were two women very fit women on the treadmill. A rush of embarrassment washed over my face. I used to look like them. I used to be able to run as far as them. I swallowed hard and began my strength routine for 20 minutes.
Circuit 1
Lunges with twist – 10lb med ball
Full Sit-ups
Push Ups
Circuit 2
Front Plank
Bicep Curls – 25 lbs
Dead Lifts
I did each exercise for 45 seconds with a 20 second break in between each exercise. I completed the first circuit three times through and then did the same with the second circuit.
When I finished with that, I headed to the treadmill to begin my running.
It. Was. Rough.
I ran for 10 minutes at 6.2 mph. I knew it was going to be hard before I even began but I was glad to see that I could still run a mile under 10 minutes, especially seeing the contestants on the Biggest Loser run 26.2 miles with each mile under 10 minutes.
Today, I would have to say that I am excited about working out after I come home from work. I ate an excellent breakfast (2 eggs, banana, and 1 slice of toast), an excellent lunch (see picture - I added chicken last night), and hopefully will continue excellent eating through dinner. I am excited to see what healthy recipe my husband and I can make for dinner. I'm just so very excited.
It's amazing what following through with healthy plans can do to your ego and your confidence. I am happy to say that I am going to exercise yet again tonight. I may not be able to run a half marathon today, but every little bit counts.
Madalyn
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you! I will always reply to your comments via email!