Dear Readers,
In college I had started a blog and stopped writing in it because life was crazy! Now life is still crazy, but I am managing to find the time to write now! I wanted to share a piece that I wrote in 2011 with you. It still gives me the warm fuzzies when I think about it. So grab a cup of joe and read!
Home is Where The Heart Is
You know the saying "home is where the heart is?" Well if you don't, you should because if your life ever turns upside down, you'll know quite exactly what that means. This Fall my parents decided it would be a good time for them to make a "clean" break and get a divorce. Little did I know that my home was really just a house. The realization of this took much more time than I thought.
My family lived in that big blue house for over ten years. This house is the only place my little sister has known, and where most of my memories take place. This big blue house was my home, my rock, and my shelter. Moving out of the big blue house and into the smaller, simpler cape cod was quite eerie and uncomfortable at first.
I make such a big deal about moving out of the house, and my parents getting divorce and then it hits me: how do younger children take divorce and moving; even if moving isn't because of a divorce. That big blue house symbolizes the only home my sister has ever come to know, and all the sudden we were moving her into another neighborhood, into another house. Another house that was older, made some creaking noises and had the occasional spider crawling in her room. I understand the concept of divorce, and why my parents want to move on, but does she?
What I find interesting is that she took moving easier than I did. She moved into an adorable room and got acquainted to the house. My sister made herself at home in the new house. In fact, you could even say she fell in love with the new house. I envy her for that. There are days when I drive by my old house and feel sad and empty. I never stopped to think why I felt that way. But then it all dawned on me; there is nothing in that house that is mine anymore. There was nothing alive about it. Without my family the house had no pulse.
The life that was once in the big blue house was relocated to the cape cod. As I looked at that cape cod from the outside on a cool fall night and saw life beating from all of the windows, I knew I was home. The feeling of emptiness that once came from my heart was because I no longer had a reason to call that big blue house my home.
My home is that quaint cape cod. My home is where the life is. My home is where my family is. My home is most easily where the heart is.
Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Madalyn
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you! I will always reply to your comments via email!